Learn the medical Spanish terminology you need and want for effective work with your Spanish-only patients. A perfect class option for anyone working in community health or with the underserved Spanish-only patient population.
Why learn medical Spanish?
Because it makes a huge difference in the lives of your Spanish only patients when you can connect with them in their language (even if you only know basic medical Spanish phrases). Additionally, there are more reasons to learn medical Spanish in Colorado (and across the USA):
- First of all, you can physically see the sighs of relief when you use your medical Spanish with patients to establish a positive rapport and understand their situation.
- Secondly, you have more confidence and insight on patient conversations when using your interpreters because you know some basic medical Spanish and common medical Spanish phrases for high frequency ideas that you need to communicate.
- Additionally, many nursing jobs prefer candidates with some level of bilingualism, and most nursing schools don’t have space in their schedules to provide medical Spanish courses.
- Finally, Common Ground’s Spanish teachers are extremely engaging and fun to learn medical Spanish with, so our courses are low-stress and high-impact.
Free Medical Spanish Crash Course: Sign up here to join our next session!Register for the 10-day Medical Spanish Crash Course
Products, Courses & Services to learn Medical Spanish:
The best resources to Learn Medical Spanish for the healthcare is Common Ground International! Since 2001 we’ve been providing Spanish training and language services that help Spanish-only patients connect with their healthcare providers. Patients understand their conditions and treatment options, and receive better quality care because the medical team they’re working with can speak their language.
We work hard to help you learn medical Spanish. For example, we write articles and language tips to help you navigate the responsible use of Spanish with your patients. In fact, many of the blog posts are “Video Viernes” free medical Spanish lessons. Additionally, we address frequently asked questions and common mistakes that students make in our Spanish for healthcare courses.
The best medical Spanish books and study resources for anyone in healthcare looking to learn medical Spanish. We have curated a list of resources that we approve of and believe are useful to you. Furthermore, our books help you in your endeavor to learn more Spanish for your clinical work with patients.
A new certification for the healthcare industry is coming soon. This bilingual certification for healthcare reduces costs and improves the quality of care that Spanish-only patients receive. This is an advanced level certification because it blends Spanish fluidity and accuracy with cultural savvy and assesses your ability to do your job in Spanish. This is a certification for clinical staff, not administrative staff.
Turnkey online medical Spanish courses for universities and healthcare programs wanting to integrate Spanish for healthcare into their curriculum. Firstly, these courses can be credit bearing or non credit bearing, pass/fail or graded courses. Secondly, all of our faculty have graduate degrees in Spanish or a related healthcare field. Therefore, we are well-equipped to become an integral component of your faculty.
See more info below…
Live-taught and pre-packaged online medical Spanish courses open for registration. Our live-taught online medical Spanish Courses are taught by our instructors abroad so that you have conversations with native speakers. And our pre-packaged courses are taught by our senior medical Spanish instructor, Rory Foster.
We open our immersion trips to healthcare workers and students of all Spanish levels trying to learn medical Spanish. We help you gain proficiency in Spanish so that you can give back to local communities in need. Immersion trips currently run 2 times a year in Central and South America (Costa Rica & Ecuador). Dates are February-March and June-July, so you choose what works best for you! These are not clinically focused medical missions because we want you to use Spanish in a wide variety of contexts. Our focus is on language proficiency development while we deliver community and public health outreach to local communities in need.
Learn Medical Spanish with us on Medical Spanish Immersion Trips to Ecuador and Costa Rica:
Ecuador Medical Spanish Immersion
Based in Cuenca, Ecuador
1-2 weeks in length
Medical Spanish Immersion in Ecuador & Costa Rica
Based in Cuenca & Santo Domingo de Heredia
2 – 6 weeks in length
Costa Rica Medical Spanish Immersion
Based in Santo Domingo de Heredia
1-6 weeks in length
Learn Medical Spanish with us Online: Online Medical Spanish Courses
Our perspective on learning & teaching medical Spanish:
We all know that patient outcomes improve when patients receive care in their primary language. Most healthcare professionals have access to medical interpreters for patients who struggle with English, but nothing strengthens rapport and improves health outcomes more than understanding and communicating clearly with your patients directly.
Students and professionals are welcome to register for medical Spanish terminology classes that teach you how to speak Spanish more comfortably, confidently & responsibly in the healthcare setting. You will likely still need a medical interpreter for many situations with your Spanish only patients – but your patients will be relieved and thank you profusely for speaking Spanish to them.
Here is how we run our courses:
- We take a functional proficiency approach, which means that we focus first on the most necessary vocabulary and grammar for your work with patients. We won’t focus on vocabulary that is unrelated to everyday medical/clinical scenarios, nor will we bore you with fancy grammar – you need the essentials, and that’s what functional proficiency is all about.
- In most cases, the necessary medical Spanish skill is the ability to communicate orally with your patients. All of our classes focus on accurate oral communication in Spanish, we don’t focus on perfect reading and writing competencies.
- Culture and language are inseparable. You must understand and be able to communicate across cultures in order to work effectively in another language.