What is MSI?
This online medical Spanish interpreter training course (MSI) is an excellent way for you to add responsible and ethical interpreting to your skillset as a bilingual healthcare worker. The eight lessons in this course span 8 calendar weeks and consist of a combination of asynchronous learning (on your own time) and synchronous (live) classes on Zoom.
Dates for this session of MSI:
- Medical Spanish Interpreter Training course runs from Thursday 10/14/21 – Wednesday 12/15/21
- Live lessons are Wednesdays, 3:45-4:45pm (MT).
MSI is not an interpreter certification course. Most people who take this course fit into one of the following categories:
- Are bilingual staff members of a clinic, hospital department, etc that are often asked to interpret on the job.
- Have interest in becoming an professional interpreter, and looking for a great first step in their journey
- Are bilingual healthcare students wanting to improve their advanced level medical Spanish skills
At the conclusion of MSI, you will take a final interpreting test. If you score above 80% accuracy on your final test, you will receive a certificate of successful completion with a recommendation to your employer that your are able to interpret responsibly while on the job.
Objectives of the Medical Spanish Interpreter Training course:
- Learn and adhere to the professional standards of practice for interpreters in healthcare
- Understand and adhere to the national code of ethics for interpreters in healthcare
- Refine knowledge of medical terminology in English and Spanish
- Gain familiarity with interpreting in healthcare and understand common errors and pitfalls while interpreting in medical settings
Is this the right medical Spanish interpreting course for you?
This interpreter training course is for advanced level speakers. The emphasis of this training is how to use your bilingual competencies to interpret responsibly. MSI is a good course for you if you:
- Are already an advanced level speaker of both English and Spanish
- Already have some experience and working skills with interpreting
- Have a working knowledge of medical terminology in Spanish and English
- Want to make sure that you’re using your skills responsibly and ethically when asked to interpret by supervisors, managers, providers, etc.
- Need to prepare for the interpreter test at your hospital or workplace
- Want to take your first steps in becoming a professional healthcare interpreter.
4 thoughts on “MSI: Medical Spanish Interpreter Training Course”
Hello when is the next course going to begin?
Thanks for the note Maricarmen, we’re working on the schedule right now for the first 1/2 of 2022. It will likely be somewhere in the March – April time frame of 2022. We’ll keep you posted on dates!
When does the live online part of this course meet?
Hey Debbie, thanks for the question. We meet at 3:45p Mountain time on Wednesdays. (2:45p Pacific, 4:45p Central, 5:45p Eastern). Hope it works for you!