Working at home and At Home Schooling through COVID-19 School Closures and Stay at home orders
Stuck at home trying to figure out how to work productively and support your kids’ learning at home?
In this video Rory & Leslie Foster share some tips from their 19 years of working from home to help you stay productive, healthy & sane :).
We also interview 2 amazing home school families who share their insights and perspectives on creating great learning environments at home and capturing teachable moments with your kids during these crazy stay at home days.
A few of the tips and suggestions we talk through in the video are:
- Accept that there will be frustrations & cut yourself some slack
- Get into a routine vs sticking to a schedule
- Eliminate distractions when it’s time for creative & productive work
- Take frequent breaks with healthy snacks
- Incorporate end-of-day check-ins and line out top tasks for tomorrow
- Capture teachable moments with your children that highlight life skills & character traits you want your kids to develop
- Help your children identify topics over the past year in school to research and go deeper with
- Think of your family as your team, and how you can work together to accomplish your goals
Here are some of the links and resources that our homeschool friends Jennifer & Kristen mentioned in the video:
- Quick physical activities to get the wiggles out: Go Noodle
- Reliable lesson plans for all subjects (some free, most paid): Teachers Pay Teachers
- Science lessons for kids: Mystery Science
- Printable worksheets and study tools: The Moffat Girls
- Unit studies to go deeper into a topic & PreK and Kindergarten printables: Confessions of a Home Schooler
- Great Spanish activities & lessons for elementary ages. Free trial: Calico Spanish
- National Geographic for kids: Kids.NationalGeographic.com