Beginning Conversational Spanish for Teachers
Welcome to Beginning Conversational Spanish for Teachers – ¡Bienvenidos al curso principiante de español para maestros!
Learning Spanish is a process and a journey. Jump into this Spanish learning adventure with this Beginning Conversational Spanish for Teachers introductory course that teaches you the basic Spanish conversational skills you need for communicating with your Spanish speaking students and their families.
This course is specifically designed for teachers to drastically improve their Spanish communication skills resulting in more effective and successful communication with their Spanish-speaking students and families in and out of the classroom.
This course focuses on learning real-life, relevant Spanish that is needed in order to manage the classroom and maintain communication with students, parents/guardians. The emphasis of this course is to help educators communicate effectively in Spanish with students and parents/guardians who are not fluent in English. This course is comprised of 7 foundational lessons that highlight the necessary grammar and vocabulary to begin communicating in Spanish.
- Lesson 1: Spanish Greeting & Pleasantries
- This lesson focuses on the most needed Spanish phrases to begin a conversation, introduce yourself, as about your students and begin connecting with your Spanish speaking students, their parents / guardians.
- Lesson 2: How to address your students and their families – Formal versus Informal Communication
- Consider context, relationship and culture when addressing students, parents / guardians, and colleagues
- Lesson 3: Master Spanish Gender
- Learn 8 basic rules to gender so you can know which nouns are feminine and which are masculine.
- Lesson 4: Introduction to the two verbs that mean “to be” in Spanish – SER and ESTAR
- Lesson 5: The verb SER: conjugations and uses
- Learn the many uses of this verb to express more about you as a teacher and to describe your students, your classroom, school and other contexts within education
- Lesson 6: The verb ESTAR: conjugations and uses Introduction to the foundational verb ESTAR = to be in Spanish
- Learn the many uses of this verb to express, specifically how your students are feeling and where they are
- Lesson 7: SER versus ESTAR Master the uses of these verbs to:
- describe students, classes, schools, tests
- express profession and more about your and your students
- communicate about how someone is feeling
- communicate about the location of people, places and things in and out of the classroom
The course includes:
- Lesson notes
- Instructional videos
- A variety of practice activities and quizzes to test your new knowledge
- Prepackaged downloads to apply and use in the classroom immediately with students and their families
Merrisa Moccia –
This course provided multiple modes to learn and practice the vocabulary and content presented in each lesson and tied the learning from each lesson together throughout the course, which added retrieval practice to make the vocabulary “stick.” The lessons cover the basic building blocks of learning Spanish, like the “be” verbs, and connect them to vocabulary that is immediately useful for speaking with students and families. I really appreciate that I could use what I was learning right away, especially after practicing dialogues that are common in school scenarios. I highly recommend this course to any school staff members who want to build stronger connections with students and the community through language.