Spanish for Educators Immersion
Spanish for Educators: Immersion Program in Costa Rica
Whether you are a classroom teacher or a middle school or high school Spanish teacher, our Spanish immersion program for teachers in Costa Rica is the best way to improve your Spanish for next year!
The goal of the Spanish for Educators immersion program is to help you improve your Spanish skills. Classroom teachers benefit immensely from the ability to connect with their LEP students and parents better. And Spanish teachers need the opportunity to settle in with a host family and fine-tune their Spanish.
- Stay with a Costa Rican host family! This Spanish immersion program is set in a small town of about 3,000 residents in Costa Rica. It is a residential community, not a tourist attraction – so there are no hotels in town!
- Your host family will take care of all of your basic needs: provide you with a private bedroom, share breakfast and dinner with you, and wash your clothes as often as needed.
- Spanish Immersion classes are a central part of this Spanish for Educators immersion program. You have some flexibility with number of hours that you would like study per day, but the basic format is to study Spanish from 8am – noon, Monday – Friday.
- You will take a Spanish placement test upon arrival to ensure that you’re working on exactly the grammar and vocabulary items that you need most.
- Community service is not a requirement of the Spanish for Educators immersion program, but we do highly recommend it. Not only will the community service activities help meet the needs of the under-served in Costa Rica, but they also require you to be using Spanish in a practical context to meet certain objectives. This too is an important piece to your language development.
- There are costs associated with community service activities; but those costs are only to cover the real costs of transportation and the organizational expenses involved.
- You have the freedom to select the amount of community service that you would like to do during your immersion program
If you truly want to make progress on your Spanish skills, we suggest a minimum program length of two weeks. For the summer of 2013, we are offering 2, 4 & 6 week Spanish for Educators programs
- Summer 2013 2 week program dates: July 1 – July 12: $1,500 (includes classes, host family, 2 meals a day)
- Summer 2013 4 week program dates: July 1 – July 26: $2,850 (includes classes, host family, 2 meals a day)
- Summer 2013 6 week program dates: July 1 – August 9: $4,000 (includes classes, host family, 2 meals a day)