Spanish for Teachers | Total Language Immersion in Costa Rica
Every summer teachers study Spanish in Costa Rica
Whether you are a classroom teacher or a middle school or high school Spanish teacher, our Spanish immersion program for teachers in Costa Rica is the best way to improve your Spanish for next year!
The goal of the Spanish for Educators immersion program is to help you improve your Spanish skills. Classroom teachers benefit immensely from the ability to connect with their LEP students and parents better. And Spanish teachers need the opportunity to settle in with a host family and fine-tune their Spanish.
Continuing Education credits are available to teachers who would like to apply for them. Depending on the state that you hold your teaching license on, there may be some paperwork to submit to your state Department of Education for Continuing Education credit approval. Contact us as early in the academic year as possible to make sure that we can ensure your Spanish for Educators immersion program is fully accredited in your state!
- Stay with a Costa Rican host family! This Spanish immersion program is set in a small town of about 3,000 residents in Costa Rica. It is a residential community, not a tourist attraction – so there are no hotels in town!
- Your host family will take care of all of your basic needs: provide you with a private bedroom, share breakfast and dinner with you, and wash your clothes as often as needed.
Spanish Immersion Classes:
- Spanish Immersion classes are a central part of this Spanish for Educators immersion program. You have some flexibility with number of hours that you would like study per day, but the basic format is to study Spanish from 8am – noon, Monday – Friday.
- You will take a Spanish placement test upon arrival to ensure that you’re working on exactly the grammar and vocabulary items that you need most.
Community Service opportunities:
- Community service is not a requirement of the Spanish for Educators immersion program, but we do highly recommend it. Not only will the community service activities help meet the needs of the under-served in Costa Rica, but they also require teachers to be using Spanish in a practical context to meet certain objectives. This is an important piece to your language development and improving your Spanish.
- There are costs associated with community service activities; but those costs are only to cover the real costs of transportation and the organizational expenses involved.
- You have the freedom to select the amount of community service that you would like to do during your Spanish for teachers immersion program
Program Dates, Length & Cost:
If you truly want to make progress on your Spanish skills, we suggest a minimum program length of two weeks.
For summer 2014 Spanish immersion dates, we have programs running Monday June 2, 2014 – Friday August 29, 2014.
Discounts apply for groups and individuals on Spanish immersion for 3+ weeks!